Friday, March 14, 2014

~Profile A Blog~

Finding a profile blog that is related to Persian culture was not as difficult as it seemed. The name of the blog I discovered is “My Persian Corner” and is written by Pontia, who is an Iranian American. Born and raised in the United States, she grew up with Persian language and culture inside the house and American language and culture outside. If I were to describe this blog in a few words, it would be something along these lines, “Everything you want to know about Persian culture, language, and travel”. The intent of this blog was to give readers an insight into a misunderstood country through its history, food, culture, travel, traditions, and random anecdotes. Reading her blog posts gave a sense of strong national ethnic identity. Her relation to my field is strong because she is a Persian language teacher offering Farsi lessons. She says “being the language teacher that I am, I can’t help but throw in some useful phrases along the way so you can impress your Iranian friends”. I can see that she is really passionate about her culture and where she is coming from. 
            As a blogger, she writes frequently to enrich readers about the culture that remains hidden to the world and describes the country of Iran as if it were like a black hole and people didn’t know anything about Iran’s history. Although she didn’t appear on the technorati website to rate how active her blog appears, two interesting blogs she posted were on the topics of Zoroastrians in the neighborhood of Yazd and the Zoroastrian calendar.  I believe her religious background is Zoroastrian but never explicitly mentions so that she doesn’t narrow her scope of readers. For those who don’t know what Zoroastrianism is, it is an ancient Iranian religion, filled with philosophical principles.
            Of the many blog pages that I have seen that relate to my work, Pontia by far captures all of the aspects of Iranian culture. The reason I say this is because my work is more about the history behind Iranian’s dynasty and how politics and religion are always clashing together. Her content on her blog page consists of academic and scholarly material that students and professors can relate to. Also, she does get detailed with many of her blogs related to religion as it relate to fanatics and all. Thus, making it easier for others to understand something new that is difficult to grasp at first. I think her audience mostly pertains to people of similar origin but does reach out to others that are unfamiliar with Middle Eastern norms. In the blogging world, the society that is relevant to her work is mostly students that are American born but have roots to Iranian culture. Thus, this is really beneficial in feeding my work because I can have a larger community of Iranian Americans giving me different perspective and attitudes on topics that fascinate me. Finally, I would want to follow the same methods and styles that Pontia uses such as weekly updates and keeping an organized routine of what I would blog about.


http://mypersiancorner.blogspot.com/2014/02/zoroastrian-make-up-alleys.html
http://mypersiancorner.blogspot.com/2014/02/the-zoroastrian-calendar.html



1 comment:

  1. Good work. It seems to have answered most of the prompt's questions. On a matter unrelated to the prompt, I would recommend slightly closer editing as there are several grammatical errors present. Apart from that it's great.

    ReplyDelete